Inside a Writer's Mind

Inside a Writer's Mind
“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” -- Oscar Wilde

Sunday 25 November 2012

Quotes From Kahlil Gibran

The Lebanese artist, poet and mystic, Kahlil Gibran (1833 - 1931), is one of my favourite writers.

He is perhaps most well known for his work, The Prophet, which is one of the most poignant and beautiful books I've ever read.

He is one of those writers whom I believe glimpsed the true purpose of our existence on this earth and his insights and truths filter through his poetic prose.

I would like to share some of my favourite quotes from his writing.

Here they are, in no particular order:

Wisdom is not in words;
Wisdom is meaning within words.
You may judge others only according to your knowledge of yourself. 
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. 
They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold;  And I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. 
Said a philosopher to a street sweeper, 'I pity you. Yours is a hard and dirty task.' And the street sweeper said, 'Thank you, sir. But tell me, what is your task?' And the philosopher answered, saying, 'I study man's mind, his deeds and his desires.' Then the street sweeper went on with his sweeping and said with a smile, 'I pity you too.'
If you enjoyed this, please consider taking a look at my novel: Seventeen Summers.

No comments:

Post a Comment